As some of you may already know, I am now a Runner. It may come as a surprise to some, but a few months ago I started to realize that there is a big difference between the perception of who I am and the reality of who I am. I think everyone does this to some extent in their lives, so I'm sure you can understand my point. You see, I perceive of myself as athletic, sporty(spice), average-size, Meg Ryan-ish. In a way, it's good because I don't have many fears about things I can and cannot do. However, the reality of who I am started to become undeniable. As I near the age that shall not be mentioned, my body jiggles and sloshes and aches more like a fat old lady and less like the person in my mind. Therefore, I decided that I needed to close the gap between reality and perception.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
RUNNING......
How do I do that, you ask? That is an excellent question - I asked myself the same. Luckily, I have some good friends who are runners themselves and knew that finishing a marathon is on my life to-do list (my 'bucket' list). They convinced me that I can run a marathon in a year with training. These girls aren't generally liars, so I decided to trust them. I bought a good pair of shoes and started training for my first 5K run: Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning!
I also wanted to say how much I love and am grateful for the friends I have in Indiana - the deKock family. I love, love, love visiting them because Jessica and Daniel make me laugh so hard, because Jaden crawls in bed with me in the morning for at least 1/2 hour (and makes me laugh I almost pee), because Carly is so fun and interesting to hang with (and a great singer), because Carson and Soren are so sweet and funny and amazing. I also love the look and smell of Autumn, which I don't get in Indio anymore. Mostly I love being part of their lives - the ups and the downs, the craziness and the quiet moments, and the friends. I adore all my new Indiana friends and am grateful they treat me like their own now. Here are my two favorite pictures from my trip. Love to all in Valpo. Miss you!
Posted by Becky Jean at 2:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh my gosh do we miss you. My friend Courtney last night asked if there was some way we could talk you into moving here. Everyone agrees that you are the best. Love the running picture. Had a down day today but you are really starting to inspire me!
Beck...I am SO proud of you for really sticking with this! I have no doubt that you can do it....the 5K will be a piece of cake! (No...I didn't say "eat a piece of cake....") You are starting to inspire me as well! I may have to renew my gym membership....I'm feeling WAY too jiggly as well. Yuck. Love and miss you oodles!
Respect, girl. I love that you are doing this and the reason that you are doing it.
You go girl...that is awesome!! Happy Training!!!
Oh I am so proud of you! I walked a 5 K and actually took 1st place for my age group. OK OK it was a small town and i don't know how many were in my age group. But it sounds really good and made me feel good to wear my medal. GOOD GIRL!!!
Great post. Love the picture of your shoes. But it's been several weeks of the same post. Who's the blog slacker now? (I have added a few posts to mine and am now feeling sassy.)
Post a Comment